Peach season is officially underway here in Ruston, La.! There's nothing quite like a sweet, juicy peach on a hot summer day, and Ruston peaches are known for being some of the tastiest around. Here in Ruston, when we aren't eating fresh peaches whole, we like them in pies, cobblers, cakes, cookies, smoothies, and even salsas.
To kick off peach season, we're bringing you three of our favorite summer peach recipes from our Pinterest board dedicated to delicious peach recipes. For ultimate enjoyment, we recommend using fresh Ruston peaches, which can be purchase at Mitcham Farms Peach Orchard or at the Ruston Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. Below are the recipes for Peach Salsa, a Peach Smoothie Cocktail (which tastes just as delicious without alcohol), and Peach Scones with Vanilla Glaze. Bon appétit!
1½ cups ripe peaches, diced (4-6 depending on size)
1 cup tomato, diced (about 2 medium)
1 tablespoon jalapeño, finely minced (about ½)
¼ cup yellow pepper, small dice (substitute red or green pepper if you'd like)
¼ cup red onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
¼ teaspoon ancho chili powder or other chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
Like your salsa on the spicy side? Add more jalapeño, cayenne powder or other ground pepper to taste.
Mix all ingredients together well. Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Peach Smoothie Cocktail
2 cups fresh orange juice
1 cup peach greek yogurt
2 cups frozen sliced peaches
6 oz Peach Schnapps (optional)
2 oz vodka (optional)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Serve on tall cocktail glasses with fresh peach slices (refer to picture).
Peach Pie Scones with a Vanilla Glaze
2 cups + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
⅓ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, cubed and cold
¼ cup heavy whipping cream, plus more for brushing
¼ cup sour cream
2 teaspoon vanilla extract½ cup fresh peaches, diced
Vanilla Glaze Ingredients:
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1-3 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Once combined, cut in the butter with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Whisk together heavy cream, sour cream, egg, and vanilla extract. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
4. Stir in the peaches, and mix until just combined.
5. On a well-floured surface, turn out the scone dough and pat into a small disk that's about a 1/2" thick. Cut into 6-8 slices, and transfer to the baking sheet. Brush each scone with just a bit of heavy cream.
6. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or just until golden brown. Allow to cool.
*Yields 6-8 scones.
Whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream. If the glaze is too thick, continue adding in heavy cream, one 1 tablespoon at a time, until it has reached the desired consistency. Pour over warm scones and enjoy!
We hope you try and enjoy these peachy recipes this summer! Feel free to share your own favorite peach recipes!
Tori is a Shreveport native, but has claimed Ruston as home since 2015. A lover of the outdoors, great food, and discovering new places, she quickly found a passion for the travel and tourism industry. As Marketing Director, Tori leads the CVB's content creation, brand management, communication, and strategic marketing efforts.